Special Event Permitting

Group of People Walking for Energys HopeSpecial Event Permit Information

Whether you’re planning a 5K run, a neighborhood block party or a gathering of friends, the City of Garland would like to help you make your event possible. Some events need a permit, while other events can make use of a pavilion rental in one of the City of Garland’s parks, a room rental in one of the City's rec centers, or do not require a permit.

Do I Need a Permit for My Event?

Answering a few simple questions will help you determine if you need to apply for a Special Event Permit:

  • Will you be blocking or restricting public property?
  • Is the anticipated attendance 100 or more?
  • Will you be hosting your event at or near Downtown Garland?
  • Will you have vendors at the event who are selling food or beverages, goods or services (i.e., fitness class/company)? Or do you plan to sell tickets for your event or sell other items at your event?
  • Will you be using amplified sound?
  • Will your event close or change the traffic pattern of a street or alley?
  • Will your event impact the public use of a City park or natural resource?
  • Will your event involve firecrackers or animals?
  • Will you be using any temporary structures, like tents, bleachers, portable restrooms, inflatable structures or stages?

If you answered "YES" to any of these questions, you will need to apply for and obtain a Special Event Permit.


If you are planning an event, your special event application must be submitted no later than 45 business days (Monday through Friday) before your event. Larger events or events requesting City Services will require 60 business days, so please plan accordingly. Submission of an application does not guarantee permit issuance.

Submitting an Application

To complete the application the following is required:

  1. Event Site Plan (Map) - Must include the following:
    • Activities location - i.e., car show, firecrackers, games, kid's area, other activities
    • Food, beverage, merchandise vendor(s) location (if applicable)
    • Parking areas
    • Tents - number, sizes and location
      • Any group of canopies exceeding 700 sq. ft. will need a permit from the Fire Marshall's Office. A gap of 12’ will be needed between each grouping of 700 sq. ft. to separate them. Closed sided canopies are not to exceed 400 sq. ft. or a permit must be obtained from Garland Fire Marshal’s Office.   
    • Stage(s) - type, location and dimensions 
    • Restroom(s) location
    • Signage - type, location, dimensions
  2. Nonprofit Certificate - 501©3,4,6 (if applicable)
  3. Schedule of Events

Upon receipt of the completed application, the Special Events Office will forward to the Special Event Permitting Committee for review.

Upon receipt of this application, the city will work hard to complete the approval process in two weeks' time from the first business day following the submission.

The applicant will be notified whether he/she has been given permission to proceed in planning the proposed event. Please do not market the event until it has been permitted. 

apply Now!

Complete the form and submit your permit application.

For assistance and additional information, please email Special Events or call 972-205-2726.

Block parties only need to be permitted through Building Inspections. The applicant is responsible for procuring City services at their own expense. For more information, visit the neighborhood block party page.


For the purpose of photography scenes/stills, film or tape/"recordings," please view the Location Use Agreement (PDF).